County requires burn permits for rangeland burning and controlled fires

Osage County Emergency Management has issued a reminder to all Osage County residents that a burn permit is required for cropland and pasture burning in all unincorporated areas. Burn permits are available at:

  • City offices at Carbondale, Scranton, Osage City, Overbrook, Melvern, Burlingame, and Quenemo.
  • Fire districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
  • County clerk’s office, land development office, sheriff’s office, Extension office, emergency management, and USDA Service Center in Lyndon.

Burn permits are valid for four years from the time of issue. County regulations require contacting the Osage County Sheriff’s Office at 785-828-3121 before starting a burn and after completing a burn. Anyone starting a burn is required to have sufficient manpower, water, and equipment to control the fire.

County regulations also apply to other types of burning in unincorporated areas. See related article here.

More information and burn permit applications can be found at under the Emergency Management tab, or by contacting Osage County Emergency Management at 785-828-3323 or [email protected].

Information thanks to Osage County Emergency Management.

Contact us: Osage County News | P.O. Box 62, Lyndon, KS 66451 | [email protected] | 785-828-4994 | Powered by Osage County, Kansas