Home, school, church form the Arvonia community

The Humphreys/Atchison home, believed to have been built in the 1860s, has had a complete renovation, but kept its charm. 

It has been two years since Arvonia had its “Bare Bones Tour” to showcase ongoing renovation at the historic Osage County community. Once again the town is opening the doors of the school, church, town hall and the Humphrey/Atchison home for tours from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, April 23.

Arvonia, Kan., is located four miles north of Lebo, off Interstate 35, near Melvern Lake. The community was founded in 1869 by Welsh settlers. The Arvonia Historic Preservation Society has been working on restoration of the town’s remaining buildings, and sharing the Welsh culture of the people who began the community.

The school and church have had some major restoration work with funds provided by grants from the Heritage Trust Fund, the Lewis H. Humphreys Charitable Trust, and the Osage County Community Foundation, funds raised by the Arvonia Historic Preservation Society, donations from supporters, and participation in the Emporia Community Foundation’s Match Day. The society also worked through kanstarter.com in the “Tin Ceiling Revival”.

The school was built in 1872 and designed by John G. Haskell, who also designed many churches and courthouses in Kansas. It now has beautiful new windows, newly restored or fabricated doors, restored plaster, and some masonry work.

The church, built in 1883, has restored windows, screens, doors and plaster walls. The tin ceiling that was falling down at the front of the church has been restored.

The Humphreys/Atchison home, believed to have been built the 1860s, has had a complete renovation. It had a renovation in 1913, when it was lifted up and a basement put under the house.  In 1953, the home was completely gutted and another remodel done.  In 2015, Rob and Susan Atchison remodeled the home again. It will be open for visitors to see progress since the last tour or just to see a beautiful home from the late 1800s that has been updated but kept its charm.

A donation of $5 per person is being requested for the tours, to go toward continued preservation of the building and a match for the 2016 Heritage Trust Fund Grant. There will also be lunch for sale and a gift shop with items to purchase.

For more information about Arvonia, AHPS or the restoration of the buildings, contact Susan Evans Atchison at [email protected].

For related articles about Arvonia Historical Preservation Society’s restoration work at Arvonia, click here.

Information thanks to Arvonia Historical Preservation Society.

Contact us: Osage County News | P.O. Box 62, Lyndon, KS 66451 | [email protected] | 785-828-4994 | Powered by Osage County, Kansas