KHP encourages and gives tips for safer Thanksgiving travel – Osage County Online | Osage County News

KHP encourages and gives tips for safer Thanksgiving travel

Troopers will be out on the roads to assist motorists throughout holiday

This week Kansas roads will be busy with holiday travelers going to and from their destinations. The Kansas Highway Patrol will mobilize, along with other law enforcement organizations across the state, to participate in the annual Special Traffic Enforcement Program. The STEP program will run in conjunction with the KHP’s participation in the CARE (Combined Accident Reduction Effort) program.

KHP and other agencies will focus on impaired drivers, child passenger safety laws, and seat belt use among travelers of all ages. Because of the STEP campaign funding, there will be more law enforcement officers on Kansas’ streets and highways during the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday period when travel increases in Kansas and across the nation.

Before hitting the road for travels, KHP encourages motorists to take the following things into consideration:

  • Make sure your vehicle is in good working order. Check tires’ tread depth and air pressure, and the vehicle’s fluids, exhaust system, and other mechanical equipment. If traveling in cold conditions, make sure added precautions are taken for the cold weather.
  • The vehicle should also be stocked with items that would be beneficial if you were involved in a crash, such as bottled water, blankets, non-perishable food, first aid kit, and flashlight with extra batteries.
  • Make sure to plan your route of travel and communicate this to your family, in case you are involved in a crash or experience mechanical problems with your vehicle.
  • Charge your cell phone before you leave to be able to make calls if needed.
  • Dress for the weather. If you plan to travel in cold weather make sure you have a coat in the vehicle, and warm shoes in case you need to stop for any reason.
  • Check your route of travel for road conditions or construction work or other delays before you leave. The Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) provides a 511 road condition hotline for motorists to use. Call 511 from any phone, or visit to check roads in the state. If travelers are in need of assistance on a Kansas highway, they can dial *47 (*HP) for the Kansas Highway Patrol, or dial *582 (*KTA) on the Kansas Turnpike, and someone will be sent to assist.

KHP reminds motorists not to drink and drive, and do not let friends or family drive while impaired. If you consume alcohol, call a friend, family member, or taxi service for a sober ride home. 

Information thanks to Kansas Highway Patrol.

Powered by WordPress