Work out, laugh in the senior center
By Stephanie Watson
An old Yiddish proverb says, “What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul.” Everyone knows that laughter makes you feel good and puts you in high spirits, but did you also know that laughter actually causes physiological responses that protect the body from disease and help your vital organs repair themselves?
A good laugh can be compared to a mild workout, as it exercises the muscles, gets the blood flowing, decreases blood pressure and stress hormones, improves sleep patterns and boosts the immune system. Furthermore, a study by the John Hopkins University Medical School showed that humor and laughter can also improve memory and mental performance. Yet despite the fact that laughter has so many benefits, far too many of us forget to even crack a smile every once in a while, let alone laugh.
Don’t forget to join us at the Osage County Senior Center on the evening of Dec. 17, 2016, for the second annual Christmas Gala. Wear your dancing shoes! and dance to EZ Pieces Quartet 6:30-9:30 p.m. Tickets will be available at the door for only $10 per person. Bus service will be available for a suggested donation of $3. You can be picked up at your door and brought home with a bus reservation; for more information or reservations call 785-528-4906 or stop by the center at 604 Market St., Osage City.
There are more fellowship, friendship and excursion activities planned for the month of December.
- Friday, Dec 16: Bingo 10 a.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 17 – The second annual Christmas Gala 6:30-9:30 p.m., EZ Pieces Quartet, $10 at the door.
- Monday, Dec. 19 – Sewing 8 a.m.; armchair exercise 10:30 a.m.; cribbage 12:15 p.m.; play pitch and eat 5:15 p.m., pitch begins at 5:45 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 20: Ceramics 9 a.m.; bus excursion to Topeka for shopping, Mexican Train games 1 p.m.; massage by Katie 11 a.m., fee applies.
- Wednesday, Dec. 21: Sewing 8 a.m.; armchair exercise 10:30 a.m.; cribbage 12:15 p.m.; massage by Katie 10 a.m., fee applies.
- Thursday, Dec. 22: Art and painting 9 a.m.
- Friday, Dec. 23: Bingo 10 a.m.
See Osage County Senior Center general transportation bus schedule here.
See Mid America Nutrition Program daily menus here.