OCPR Update: Youth baseball and softball, summer lifeguards needed, BBQ season starts
Spring is almost here and Osage City Parks and Recreation is getting out the balls and bats for youth baseball and softball. Also, applications are being taken for summer lifeguards. And of course it’s everyone’s favorite season in Osage City with Smoke in the Spring scheduled for April 7-8, 2017.
Flint Hills League Youth Baseball & Softball
- Baseball and Softball Divisions – U6 (Novice), U8 (Advanced), U10 (Midget), U12 (Pee Wee and C-Girls), U15 (Little League and B-Girls)
- Players who are not 5 years old by May 1, 2017, are too young for the Novice Boys and Girls Divisions.
- The U6 (Novice) and U8 (Advanced) Divisions, Boys and Girls, will be coach pitch.
- The U10 Divisions (Midget, Boys & Girls), U12 Divisions (Pee Wee Boys, C-Girls), U15 Divisions (Little League Boys, B-Girls) are kid-pitch.
- $30 per player (Both Baseball & Softball)
- Team practices can start the week of April 17, if a coach has been assigned.
- FHL Season will be May 22 through July 7. Divisions Tournaments will be the week of July 10.
- Baseball and Softball Age Date, May 1, 2017
- Sign-up forms are available at Osage City Hall, online at www.osagecity.com, sent through the USD 420 school, and the City of Osage City Facebook Page
- Signup Deadline, March 31
Tee-ball forms will be available the end of April
- Tee-ball is for boys and girls age 3-5.
OCPR is taking applications for OCAC lifeguards.
- The applicant needs to be at least 15 years of age.
- This is a OCAC seasonal part-time hourly position – During the OCAC summer season.
- The Lifeguard position would be 10-30 hours per week.
- Applicants must Become CPR certified and take lifeguard training.
- Lifeguard duties include – Monitoring pool patrons during open hours – Helping with swim lessons, swim team, and swim meets – Daily chores (opening and closing).
- Applications are available at Osage City Hall or from Lynn Tice or sent out by request.
- Application Deadline – March 13.
- Interviews (as needed) – Will be scheduled by Lynn Tice.
- If you have questions or need an application, contact Corey Linton, 785-528-4610, email@example.com, or Lynn Tice, 785-249-2199, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Smoke In The Spring April 7-8, 2017
Jones Park, Osage City, KS
www.smokeinthespring.com – Like us on Facebook
Taste of Osage City
Friday, April 7, 2017
Begins at 5 p.m.-“Until the food runs out!”
Presented by Edward Jones.
- This is a special community evening showcasing Smoke in the Spring BBQ teams who choose to cook food for the public.
- BBQ teams accept BBQ Bucks as payment for the food.
- BBQ Bucks can be purchased at either Osage City Hall or Edward Jones starting April 3.
- BBQ Bucks will be sold on-site April 7, 12-7pm, at the Community Building concession stand windows.
- BBQ Bucks can be reused, from year to year.
- BBQ Bucks are a dollar for dollar exchange.
Live Music – April 7 – 8pm-Midnight – “Just Passin Through”
OCPR building at Jones Park
- Just Passin Through is a high energy country/honky tonk dance band from eastern Kansas, that will keep any crowd entertained with hits from country artists, blues and rock and roll.
- Band Members, Jay Dee Meers (lead vocal), Noel Young (vocals), Rex Peterson (keyboard & vocals), Justin Kistner (fiddle & rhythm guitar), Rick McClintic (lead guitar), Russel Wolf (bass & vocals), Mark Paquette (drums)
- Booking information, Generation Relevant, J.D. Linn (Agent), 913-808-7911, email@example.com
Firework Demo Display – April 7 – 9pm – Jones Park
Provided courtesy of Garrett’s Fireworks, Osage City, KS.
Kids-Q Competition – April 7
Sponsored by the Conrad Carlson Charitable Foundation.
- Signup deadline April 7, 5pm
- Kids-Q cook’s meeting April 7, 5:30pm, Community Building.
- Kids-Q Turn-In, April 7, 8pm in the Community Building.
- Age divisions, 10 & under and 11 & above.
- $10 per cooker, dessert turn-in.
- Cookers must prepare their turn-in on-site.
- Awards and prizes given to the top 5 places in each category.
Event Parking & Shuttle Service (April 7 only)
- 4th & Ellinwood, Osage City School parking lots and surrounding area
- Shuttle Service (Friday Only) for those parked at the Osage City School Parking Lot Area (4-9pm), pick up at Osage City Elementary parking lot, and drop off will be at Safford, between K-170 and 1st Street. Patrons are also welcome to walk to the event from the Osage schools.
- Open lot west of highway K-170 (Across from OCHS Football Field).
- Designated event handicap parking (handicap spots just west of the OCHS football field bleachers), entry from Highway K-170, sidewalk and asphalt access to the event. Plus, possible shuttle service from event UTVs.
- Shuttle bus and driver provided by Osage County Senior Center (handicapped accessible).
SEE OCPR ONLINE at www.osagecity.com
*Click City Departments, then Parks & Recreation for program information,
printable signup forms, schedules and more!
Also visit Osage City on Facebook.