With spring starting next week, Osage City Parks and Recreation activities are peeking into summertime with youth baseball and softball and tee-ball signup deadlines approaching, lifeguard, water safety instruction, and CPR certification classes scheduled. And with spring here, that means smoke will follow, as in Smoke in the Spring, the annual barbecue weekend in Osage City, April 7-8, 2017.
Flint Hills League Youth Baseball and Softball
- Baseball and Softball Divisions – U6 (Novice), U8 (Advanced), U10 (Midget), U12 (Pee Wee and C-Girls), U15 (Little League and B-Girls)
- Players who are not 5 years old by May 1, 2017, are too young for the Novice Boys and Girls Divisions.
- The U6 (Novice) and U8 (Advanced) Divisions, Boys and Girls, will be coach pitch.
- The U10 Divisions (Midget, Boys and Girls), U12 Divisions (Pee Wee Boys, C-Girls), U15 Divisions (Little League Boys, B-Girls) are kid-pitch.
- $30 per player (Both Baseball and Softball)
- Team practices can start the week of April 17, if a coach has been assigned.
- FHL Season will be May 22 through July 7. Divisions Tournaments will be the week of July 10.
- Baseball and Softball Age Date, May 1, 2017.
- Sign-up forms are available at Osage City Hall, online at www.osagecity.com, sent through USD 420 schools, and the City of Osage City Facebook Page.
- Signup deadline, March 31, 2017.
- For children age 3, 4, 5.
- Players need to turn 3 by May 1, 2017 to participate.
- Cost is $20 per player.
- OCPR tee-ball is a parent interactive program, meaning all parents are invited to help with this program. Tee-ball coaches are in charge of each game, making sure player positions are rotated and the batting order is set.
- A Head Coach is selected by OCPR and the remaining parents serve as assistant coaches for the team.
- Each team has a roster limit of 10 players.
- Games are 45 minutes or 3 innings.
- Each team bats everyone and then players rotate to the field for defense.
- Team practice can start after the deadline, once teams are put together and a head coach is assigned.
- Games begin the week of June 5.
- Teams play 6 games, game dates are to be determined, based on the number of teams participating.
- Game times are 6 p.m. or 7 p.m.
- A game schedule will be sent out a week prior to the start of the season.
- Signup deadline, May 12, 2017.
Lifeguard Instructor Training – WSI Certification
Lifeguard and CPR Recertification – Lifeguard Training
- All classes are held at the Osage City Aquatic Center.
- For more information contact, Lynn Tice 785-249-2199, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lifeguard Instructor Training
- May 18-20, 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Instructor, Lynn Tice
- Students will be given a break for lunch.
- $200 per person.
- Must be 18 to take the class.
- Deadline is April 28, 2017.
- May 24-26, 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- May 27 and 28, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Cost is $150.
- Instructor, Jordan Tice.
- Students will be given a break for lunch.
- Includes First Aid and CPR.
- Attendance Required Each Day.
- Must be 15 to take the class.
- Signup deadline May 5, 2017.
- May 29-31 and June 6-9, 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Cost is $150.
- Instructor, Lynn Tice.
- Attendance required each day.
- Must be 16 to take the class.
- Signup deadline May 12, 2017.
Lifeguard and CPR Recertification
- May 22, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Cost is $50.
- Instructors, Lynn Tice and Jordan Tice.
- Deadline is May 19, 2017.
Smoke in the Spring – April 7-8, 2017 – Jones Park, Osage City, Kan.
www.smokeinthespring.com – Like us on Facebook
Taste of Osage City – April 7 – Jones Park – 5 p.m. – “Until The Food Runs Out”
Presented by Edward Jones.
- This is a special community evening showcasing Smoke in the Spring BBQ teams who choose to cook food for the public.
- BBQ teams accept BBQ Bucks as payment for the food.
- BBQ Bucks can be purchased at either Osage City Hall or Edward Jones starting April 3.
- BBQ Bucks will be sold onsite April 7, 12-7 p.m., at the Community Building concession stand windows.
- BBQ Bucks can be reused from year to year.
- BBQ Bucks are a dollar for dollar exchange.
Live Music – April 7 – 8 p.m.-midnight – OCPR building at Jones Park
“Just Passin Through”
Just Passin Through is a high energy country/honky tonk dance band from eastern Kansas, that will keep any crowd entertained with hits from country artists, blues and rock and roll. Band Members: Jay Dee Meers (lead vocal), Noel Young (vocals), Rex Peterson (keyboard and vocals), Justin Kistner (fiddle and rhythm guitar), Rick McClintic (lead guitar), Russel Wolf (bass and vocals), Mark Paquette (drums). Booking information, Generation Relevant, J.D. Linn, agent, 913-808-7911, email@example.com.
Firework Demo Display – April 7 – 9 p.m. – Jones Park
Provided courtesy of Garrett’s Fireworks, Osage City, Kan.
Kids-Q Competition – April 7
Sponsored by the Conrad Carlson Charitable Foundation.
- Signup deadline April 7, 5 p.m.
- Kids-Q cook’s meeting April 7, 5:30 p.m., Community Building.
- Kids-Q Turn-In, April 7, 8 p.m. in the Community Building.
- Age divisions, 10 and under and 11 and above.
- $10 per cooker, dessert turn-in.
- Cookers must prepare their turn-in on site.
- Awards and prizes given to the top 5 places in each category.
Event Parking & Shuttle Service (April 7 only)
- 4th & Ellinwood, Osage City School parking lots and surrounding area
- Shuttle Service (Friday Only) for those parked at the Osage City School Parking Lot Area (4-9pm), pick up at Osage City Elementary parking lot, and drop off will be at Safford, between K-170 and 1st Street. Patrons are also welcome to walk to the event from the Osage schools.
- Open lot west of highway K-170 (Across from OCHS Football Field).
- Designated event handicap parking (handicap spots just west of the OCHS football field bleachers), entry from Highway K-170, sidewalk and asphalt access to the event. Plus, possible shuttle service from event UTVs.
- Shuttle bus and driver provided by Osage County Senior Center (handicapped accessible).
SEE OCPR ONLINE at www.osagecity.com
*Click City Departments, then Parks & Recreation for program information,
printable signup forms, schedules and more!
Also visit Osage City on Facebook.