Building of distinction still graces Burlingame; old school now repository of local history

By Paul Schmidt

This distinct brick building built in 1902 served as Burlingame’s grade school for 99 years. Now called the Schuyler Museum, it is a repository of local, county, Santa Fe Trail, railroad, and mining history. The museum is named after Phillip Church Schuyler (1805-1872), a prominent settler, politician and reformer, who in 1855 purchased a large land claim that eventually became the town of Burlingame. The school-turned-museum is at 117 S. Dacotah St., in Burlingame. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Photos thanks to Paul Schmidt.

Contact us: Osage County News | P.O. Box 62, Lyndon, KS 66451 | [email protected] | 785-828-4994 | Powered by Osage County, Kansas