Emergency management cautions about burning during current dry spell – Osage County Online | Osage County News

Emergency management cautions about burning during current dry spell

With dry conditions and little chance of measureable moisture in the near future, Osage County Emergency Management is reminding everyone to use extreme caution when conducting any type of outside burning.

“Please ensure that you have sufficient manpower, water, and equipment to control the fire, this is your responsibility,” said Bryce Romine, Osage County Emergency Management director. “You must monitor your fire until it is completely extinguished. We have had numerous out-of-control grass fires, burning without a permit, and burning on “no burn days.”

Anyone burning in Osage County is required to have a burn permit in all unincorporated areas. Unincorporated areas are those outside of city limits. Residents living inside city limits should check their city regulations regarding burning.

Burn permits can be obtained at the following locations:

  • City offices at Carbondale, Scranton, Osage City, Overbrook, Melvern, Burlingame and Quenemo.
  • Osage County Fire Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.
  • Osage County Clerk’s Office, land development office, sheriff’s office, KSU Extension office at Lyndon, Osage County Emergency Management, and USDA Service Center in Lyndon.

Burn permits are valid for four years from the time of issue. Anyone conducting a burn must contact the Osage County Sheriff’s Office at 785-828-3121 before starting the burn and after the fire is completely extinguished.

More information and electronic burn permit applications can be found on the Osage County website under the Emergency Management tab at www.osageco.org or contact Romine at Osage County Emergency Management, 785-828-3323, [email protected], or 131 W. 14th St., Lyndon.

Information thanks to Osage County Emergency Management.

Powered by WordPress