Osage County AgWire: Disaster program compensates producers for forage losses – Osage County Online | Osage County News

Osage County AgWire: Disaster program compensates producers for forage losses

Producers in Osage County are eligible to apply for 2018 Livestock Forage Disaster Program benefits on native pasture, and improved pasture. LFP provides compensation to eligible livestock producers who suffer grazing losses for covered livestock due to drought on privately owned or cash leased land, or fire on federally managed land.

County committees can only accept LFP applications after notification is received by the national office of a qualifying drought, or if a federal agency prohibits producers from grazing normal permitted livestock on federally managed lands due to qualifying fire.

Eligible livestock producers must submit appropriate form and required supporting documentation no later than Jan. 30, 2019, for 2018 losses.

Assistance program covers added expenses of water transportation

Assistance is available through the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program for livestock producers that have incurred additional operating costs for transporting water to livestock due to an eligible drought.

An eligible drought means that part or all of a county is designated in extreme drought or higher as indicated by the U.S. Drought Monitor (www.droughtmonitor.unl.edu). Producers must file a notice of loss the earlier of 30 calendar days of when the loss is apparent to the producer, or by Nov. 1, 2018. Additionally, the deadline to submit an application for payment for 2018 ELAP assistance is Nov. 1, 2018.

To qualify for ELAP, eligible livestock must be adult or non-adult dairy cattle, beef cattle, buffalo and beefalo, alpacas, deer, elk, emus, equine, goats, llamas, reindeer, or sheep. Additionally, the livestock must have been owned 60 calendar days prior to the beginning of the drought and be physically located in the county designated as a disaster area due to drought. Adequate livestock watering systems or facilities must have existed before the drought occurred and producers are only eligible if they do not normally transport water to the livestock. Livestock that were or would have been in a feedlot are not eligible for transporting water.

ELAP covers the additional cost of transporting water and does not cover the cost of the water itself. Producers must provide documentation to FSA that shows the method used to transport the water, the number of gallons of water transported and the number of eligible livestock to which water was transported.

Livestock producers should contact their local FSA to make an appointment to sign up for ELAP and to learn more about eligibility, application and documentation requirements.

To contact the Lyndon FSA office, call 785-828-4631 or stop by 115 W. 17th St.

The Osage County AgWire is published periodically as available and includes information from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Osage County Conservation District, Frontier Extension District, and Osage County Weed Department.

Powered by WordPress