Help House flings open doors on prom closet

By Raylene Quaney

Help House’s Prom Closet is open and has over 100 beautiful gowns in nearly any style, color and size. Prom Closet is open 4-7 p.m. Monday evenings, and 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, from now until all proms in Osage County are over. These dresses are available to any young lady that is a resident of Osage County. Come in and find your perfect dress for that special night.  There is no charge for any of the dresses.

Budgeting class

The next “Good Sense” budget class will be held 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday, April 15, at Help House. Once completed, the participant is eligible for assistance with heating and or cooling cost on utilities, gas, electric or wood. This is a one-day class. Call 785-828-4888 for more information and to register.

Volunteer training

Help House’s annual volunteer training has been rescheduled for April 29. Registration begins at 9 a.m. All volunteers are asked to participate in this training at least once. If you have thought about becoming a volunteer and would like to know more about Help House, you are welcome to attend. Please call the office to register.

Mobile food pantries

Mobile food pantry dates for April:

  • Carbondale Church of Christian Fellowship, 12 p.m., 2nd Tuesday, April 9
  • Osage City Community Center, 10-11 a.m., 3rd Thursday, April 18
  • Burlingame Federated Church 10 a.m., 3rd Thursday, April 18
  • Lyndon Jones Park on East Sixth Street, 12 p.m. 3rd Friday, April 19
  • Melvern pantry has been cancelled until further notice.

If participating in the mobile pantry, please be in line 15 to 20 minutes before starting time to be in the counted numbers when it is decided how much of each item each family will receive. Help House sponsors the Lyndon and Carbondale mobile pantries.

Donated meat requires USDA inspection

As a reminder, any farmer or individual that would like to make a donation of farm raised beef, pork or chicken, all donations must be processed and packaged in a plant that has been USDA inspected and packaging must have the USDA seal. Any donations such as this are a great help, as then we do not have to purchase these items to provide the protein that is such an important part of a good diet. Donors can also make cash donations designated for the purchase of meat for the pantry instead.

Help House can help with SNAP

Help House volunteers are available to provide assistance if you would like to apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). You will need proof of Identification, Social Security information for each member of the household, Income verification each member of the household (a most recent bank statement will be copied and sent in with application), also required is any owned vehicle information. If 60 or older or disabled, also needed are any medical expenses including health insurance and Medicare premiums and prescription cost or bills you are paying. Call the office at 785-828-4888 to make an appointment, and we can answer your questions as to what you should bring with you.

For more information about Help House’s services, call 785-828-4888, email [email protected], stop by 131 W. 15th St., Lyndon, Kan., or like Osage County Help House on Facebook.

Contact us: Osage County News | P.O. Box 62, Lyndon, KS 66451 | [email protected] | 785-828-4994 | Powered by Osage County, Kansas