KDOT permits required for hay harvesting on state right of way – Osage County Online | Osage County News

KDOT permits required for hay harvesting on state right of way

Although hay is one of Osage County’s primary agriculture crops, permits are required for haying along highway rights of way. Photo by Larry Salisbury shows hay bales in a field at Salisbury’s Long Creek Farm, Melvern, looking toward Mark and Linda Russell’s place.

Hay harvesting on state and federal highway rights of way without a permit is illegal and is trespassing, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation.

Haying permit applications are available at KDOT district and area offices and are good for one year or a specific haying season. From April 1 to the end of each year, permits to harvest are issued in the order in which they are received.

Permits can be canceled at any time by either party and all operations shall be in accord with requirements and guidelines set by KDOT. Any person, firm or corporation wanting to mow or bale hay must submit a permit application to the KDOT office in their area.

For additional information, contact your local northeast Kansas KDOT office listed below, or call the KDOT Bureau of Construction and Maintenance in Topeka at (785) 296-3576.

Northeast Kansas KDOT offices

  • Osage City: (785) 528-3128
  • Horton: (785) 486-2142
  • Bonner Springs: (913) 721-2960
  • Topeka: (785) 296-2291
  • Wamego: (785) 456-2353
  • Olathe: (913) 764-0987
Powered by WordPress