Permit required for harvesting hay on state’s rights of way – Osage County Online | Osage County News

Permit required for harvesting hay on state’s rights of way

Hay harvesting on right of way along state and federal highways without a permit is illegal and is trespassing, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation. Haying permit applications are available at KDOT district and area offices and are good for one year or a specific haying season.

KDOT has updated the hay permit form to reflect the following key changes:

  • The hay permit will expire Sept. 30 annually. KDOT maintenance crews begin mowing out the highway right of way starting on Oct. 1.
  • No harvesting is to be permitted on the interstate highway right of way.
  • No equipment shall be left on the right of way longer than 10 days.
  • KDOT has dropped the required county noxious weed director signature.
  • KDOT reserves the right to retain up to 20 percent of the bales harvested from the right of way as part of the permit agreement.

Haying permit applications will be accepted after Jan. 1 for that year’s mowing season. Adjacent landowners will be given permit priority until March 31 of a given year. After March 31, permits will be issued in the order they are received

Permits can be canceled at any time by either party and all operations shall be in accord with requirements and guidelines set by KDOT. Any person, firm or corporation wanting to mow or bale hay will need to submit a permit application to the KDOT office in their area.

The updated KDOT hay permit form can be found online at:

For more information, contact the local KDOT northeast Kansas office listed below, or call the KDOT Bureau of Maintenance in Topeka at 785-296-3576.

Northeast Kansas KDOT Offices

  • Osage City office: 785-528-3128
  • Horton office: 785-486-2142
  • Bonner Springs office: 913-721-2960
  • Topeka office: 785-296-2291
  • Wamego office: 785-456-2353
  • Olathe office: 913-764-0987
Powered by WordPress