Category Archives: Places

Scranton parish celebrates 150 years of St. Patrick’s blessings and 100-year-old church

St. Patrick Church, at Scranton, Kan., has served its parish for 100 years.

By Paul Schmidt

St. Patrick Catholic Church, at Scranton, Kan., is celebrating its 100th anniversary as a church building and 150 years as a parish in 2017.

Catholicism in early Kansas goes back to the mid 1500s with the explorations of the Spanish Franciscan friar, Fr. Juan de Padilla, who accompanied the Spanish conquistador, Francisco Vasquez de Coronado.

Statue of the church’s Patron Saint: St. Patrick.

Catholics had settled around the Scranton area as early as 1855. The first mass was celebrated near Scranton in 1855 in a private residence. Scranton was a distant served mission until 1876 when a more permanent, regular Catholic presence was established.

On Aug. 15, 1877, a lot was acquired in Scranton at the corner of Boyle and Mercer streets for the purpose of establishing a Catholic church building. A frame church was built on this location, serving about 120 people.

During Scranton’s boom, there was also a parochial school serving Catholic youth from 1885 to 1889.

The church’s bell was originally in the frame church building that existed until May 21, 1916, when the last mass was held in it. That bell is currently housed in the present church building.

Cornerstone of St. Patrick Church, Scranton: Celtic shamrock motif indicates s strong Irish presence in the parish’s history.

On June 7, 1916, the first spade was turned for the new St. Patrick Church in Scranton, to be located on the same site as the 1877 wooden structure. The cornerstone was laid in ceremony Oct. 2, 1917, officiated by then Archbishop John C. Ward of the Archdiocese of Leavenworth.

The strong Irish presence in the church is exemplified by the Celtic cross design graphic in the cornerstone as well as the shamrocks within the cross on the end corner stone. St. Patrick church has had strong Irish, German and Hispanic presence over its history.

Another prominent feature of the church’s chapel are the stained glass windows donated in 1941 by the Michael Towle family. The windows are on either side of the chapel, with one showing the chiro on the throne with the crown; the one on the north side is dedicated to and features symbolism of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Stained glass windows brighten Scranton church with rays of faith

By Paul Schmidt

Stained glass windows donated by Mr. and Mrs. Michael Towle in 1941 still shine rays of light onto the congregation at St. Patrick Catholic Church, at Scranton.

Michael Towle, 1859-1943, who was born in Waterford, Ireland, was a parishioner at the St. Patrick parish at Scranton. He and his wife, Mary (O’Brien) Towle, had 12 children, who all had interesting lives and occupations, including World War I veterans, teacher, author and a nurse. Three of the girls became Catholic sisters, and one of the boys, George, became a priest and ultimately a monsignor.

An interesting fact about Father George was his service in the U.S. Army as a captain and chaplain at Fort Leavenworth. It was there he served as the chaplain for what was to become the last mass execution in the U.S. – seven young German prisoner of war submariners were hanged.

The incident is recounted in Martial Justice (1971) by Richard Whittingham, and was also the subject of a 1997 History Channel one-hour documentary.

The Towle family windows represent a significant Osage County Catholic family and an amazingly heart wrenching episode of war, religion and justice.

The windows are on either side of the chapel, with one showing the chiro on the throne with the crown; the one on the north side is dedicated to and features symbolism of the Blessed Virgin Mary. To see the windows, stop St. Patrick Church is at 302 S. Boyle St., Scranton, Kan.

All aboard: Embark on historical journey at Osage City Santa Fe Depot

Unique open air waiting porch projects from the southwest elevation of the depot.

By Paul Schmidt

The unique train depot in Osage City, Kan., was constructed 1911-1912, typical of Santa Fe depots built in the Spanish Mission style during the time period. It was built by Stivers Harvey contractors, of Kansas City, for about $13,000.

The depot is beautifully detailed in dark red brick against light creme concrete walls to recall stucco. The parapet features original Santa Fe Railroad identification complete with cross and lettering.

The Osage City Santa Fe Depot is located at 508 Market St., where it was built parallel to the now Burlington Northern Santa Fe tracks that dissect the town from southwest to northeast.

It is one of two such Spanish Mission style Santa Fe depots left, with the other one located in central Texas at Coleman.

Osage County Places: Melvern’s old bridge now only carries railroad buffs and walkers

View of Melvern’s Pine Street Bridge from Railroad Park; staghorn sumac in foreground.

The Pine Street Bridge, also known as Fifth Street Bridge, in Melvern, Kan., was constructed between May and August of 1909. It spans 148 feet and has a 15-foot wide wooden deck over a main double track line of the BNSF railroad.

It may have been constructed from materials from an earlier railroad bridge dating back to 1884. The only marking is the word “Cambria” stamped on some of the beams. This indicates it was manufactured by the Cambria Steel Co. of Johnstown, Penn.

The bridge was designed for vehicular traffic originally, but is now open only for pedestrian crossings.

The BNSF railroad was originally chartered as The Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad in 1859. By the time this bridge was built over the double track, AT&SF had more than 9,000 miles of rail.

Melvern is a great town to safely view trains passing from this bridge or from a viewing stand in Railroad Park.

The Pine Street Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hidden History: Osage City opera house operator finds fame for others

An old postcard depicts the Grand Opera House at Osage City; from collections of Osage County Historical Society.

By Wendi Bevitt

At one time, Osage City had two opera houses. The Howe House opened in 1879, changing its name to the Osage City Opera House in 1883. Its rival, the Grand Opera House, opened within five years. Each could hold around 700 attendees.

These establishments brought in entertainment like prima donna sopranos, witty speakers, bands, lectures on the newest scientific discoveries like x-rays, and were the sites of community gatherings.

The Osage City Opera House brought in the big names, but also was a springboard for talent, not of a performer, but of a promoter – Melville “Mel” Raymond.

Raymond Melville

Mel Raymond’s parents, Melville and Mary Raymond, moved their family from Eureka, Kan., to Burlingame in the mid-1880s. Mr. Raymond established himself as a grocer, supplying various fruits, baking supplies, cigars, tobacco, stationary and confections to the community. He held a high standard for his goods, and his candy stock alone had, according to the Burlingame Enterprise, “never been equaled by variety or uniqueness It is absolutely pure, he sells no other kinds.” Mrs. Raymond, on the other hand, supported the community by holding a “little folks sewing class” at her home two times per week.

Mel worked as a clerk in his father’s store. The younger Melville, however, was called to a life in the entertainment business at a young age. Mel started by creating his own comedy troop with friend Fred Schenck, called the Schenck and Raymond Comedy Company. Their signature piece was called “Fun on a Steamboat” where Mel pushed the envelope by performing in blackface. The group performed the act at area opera houses, touring as far as Mel’s former home, Eureka.

After that last stop, he and co-star Mary “Pet” Lamb surprised everyone back in Osage County by getting married at the Gold Dust Hotel in nearby Fredonia, Kan.

However, with “the call of the amusement world loud in his ear,” he left to join Sells Brothers’ circus a few short months later, returning to Burlingame only after the group returned to winter quarters.

Afterwards Mel started working in opera house venues, managing the Osage City Opera House and eight others around 1891. He returned to circus life as a press and contracting agent, notably for the Ringling Brothers, but also for other minor companies. He gained the reputation for being spectacular in his methods of promotion.

Overbrook Rotarians invite you to sit down, relax and read

Overbrook Rotarians Don Schultz, Vic Robbins and Marian Massoth worked last weekend to install an Overbrook Rotary bench on the northwest side of the Overbrook Public Library. The Overbrook Rotary is donating three benches to the library this year, one at each entrance along with this beautiful stone bench. 

Building of distinction still graces Burlingame; old school now repository of local history

By Paul Schmidt

This distinct brick building built in 1902 served as Burlingame’s grade school for 99 years. Now called the Schuyler Museum, it is a repository of local, county, Santa Fe Trail, railroad, and mining history. The museum is named after Phillip Church Schuyler (1805-1872), a prominent settler, politician and reformer, who in 1855 purchased a large land claim that eventually became the town of Burlingame. The school-turned-museum is at 117 S. Dacotah St., in Burlingame. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Photos thanks to Paul Schmidt.

Hidden History: Homesteaders lay foundation for Osage County’s future

A cornerstone carved by William S. White reminds of the connection of the home’s past owners to its current inhabitants.

By Wendi Bevitt

Every home has a story. It is a standing memorial of the people that have lived and loved within its walls – each family tailoring it to meet their tastes and needs.

One Osage County family is seeing to preserve the original details that were lovingly added to their century-year-old home.

Michael and Sara Floyd bought their rural Osage County, Kan., home and 4.5 acres in 2014, and the home and barn were in much need of some love and attention. It is the Floyds’ goal to restore both structures back to their former glory.

Summer on the Marais des Cygnes

Lazing on the banks of the Marais des Cygnes River is a perfect way to spend the dog days of summer.

By Paul Schmidt

Viewed here from Melvern’s Riverfront Trail, the Marais des Cygnes River has a rich history dating back to the French trappers who named it (Marais des Cygnes translated to English is “marsh of the swan”). Melvern’s Riverfront Park and Trail includes a scenic five-mile expanse of diverse terrain that winds along river bottom and wetlands. In addition to its scenic river access, the park is an Osage County treasure of native Kansas grassland animal and plant life.

4-H club leads community in “Tiger spirit” with downtown wall project

Lyndon Leaders 4-H Club members and Prayer and Action team members work together to create a small “Tiger spirit” pocket park in downtown Lyndon. Courtesy photo.

By Leanne Shoup
Club Reporter

Despite a busy fair season, the Lyndon Leaders 4-H Club paired up with the Prayer and Action team that was visiting Osage County this summer. It has been a club goal to help beautify and give back to the community, and with the help of the Prayer and Action volunteers, the club was able to get its wall project well underway. For three days they spent preparing the ground, laying pavers and painting a wall on Topeka Avenue in Lyndon.

The best part about the project was being able to meet and interact with the volunteers. These volunteers were high school-aged Catholics, who devoted a week to help serve others and grow in their faith. The students were from various parishes, ranging from the Kansas City area and even Chicago.

After hearing of their mission, the Lyndon Leader 4-H Club reached out to them. Due to the club having so many young members, they needed the extra muscle to help with their ambitious project. Generously, the Prayer and Action team agreed to team up with the club, and now citizens of the Lyndon community can enjoy the fruits of their labor for many years to come.

There are still a few things left to do before the wall project is complete. Final plans are to put in landscaping to show Lyndon Tiger spirit.

Forgotten bridge spans the flow of time

By Paul Schmidt

The remains of an abandoned Pratt through-truss, five-panel, pin-connected bridge still spans the Dragoon Creek near Burlingame, Kan. Built in 1899 by the Kansas City Bridge Company, only its strong frame survives. It is one of many old surviving bridges that add character and intrigue to Osage County. Details of this bridge were provided by Bridgehunter.com – a site devoted to documenting historic and notable bridges of the U.S. 

Dragoon forever marches across the Osage County prairie

By Paul Schmidt

The 205,359-acre Dragoon Creek watershed is part of the Pomona Lake watershed in east-central Kansas. Dragoon Creek originates in the southeast portion of Wabaunsee County, and it flows southeast until it merges with 110-Mile, Plummer and Valley Brook creeks to form Lake Pomona. Dragoon Creek is named after Pvt. Samuel Hunt, who was part of a Dragoon military expedition to Colorado and died Sept. 11, 1835. The 23-year-old soldier is buried west of Burlingame near the creek that now bears his name. This photo is of the final stretch of the Dragoon very close to Lake Pomona, taken through a concrete rail arch of the abandoned U.S. Highway 75 bridge (No. 75-70 16.8, constructed 1954).

Lyndon Leaders now on display at city park

Lyndon Leaders 4-H Club members proudly show off their new sign at Lyndon City Park, front from left, Ryan Bones, Allie Kneisler, James Marcotte, Garrett Shoup, Morgan Young; back, Ethan Kneisler, Cade Shoup, Leanne Shoup, Kaelin Bones, Reanna Marcotte, James Marcotte, and Kendall Young.

By Leanne Shoup, Club Reporter

The Lyndon Leaders 4-H Club had its monthly meeting on June 11, 2017, at the Lyndon City Park. Announcements included the upcoming fair dates and the club’s decision to help clean up Memorial Day flowers at the city cemetery on June 18.

The program included every member showing one project they plan to take for the fair. Some of the projects shown included woodworking and visual arts.

Following the meeting the club had a potluck meal. They ended their time together by taking a photo in front of the new sign the club donated to the “Welcome to Lyndon” sign at Lyndon City Park.

Lyndon Methodists ‘rev up’ for sixth annual engine-powered show

Old met older as vintage vehicles parked all around the historic Bailey House at Lyndon City Park last Saturday.

By Rebecca Thill

Despite the extreme weather and power outages early Saturday morning, the sixth annual “Get Rev’d Up” Car Show at Lyndon went on without a hitch.

There were close to 100 entries, including cars, motorcycles, steam engines, and 18-wheelers. Twenty awards were given out along with several specialty awards and several memorial awards.

Live music was provided by Mike Cline and the Constance Praise Band, and a DJ. There were also activities, with goody bags provided for all the children that attended. Face painting, tattoos, and Hot Wheels racing were a hit with all the kids.

The church’s preschool served biscuits with sausage gravy and breakfast burritos, the Mothers of Preschoolers had homemade cinnamon rolls for sale, and lunch was served by the United Methodist Church finance team. The United Methodist Women had a variety of 13 flavors of homemade ice cream.

Proceeds from the event support Youth Ministries, MOPS, Lyndon United Methodist Preschool, and the Lyndon United Methodist Women.

Here’s some views of the park jammed with motorized vehicles.

Rapp School, a legacy of Osage County learning

Photo by Paul Schmidt

Rapp School is an Osage County treasure. This brick school house built in 1929 includes original furnishings, curriculum materials, and playground equipment. The solid, brick structure not only served the community well until 1959, but also lives today as an active historical resource and repository of our local educational and social history. Rapp School is located at 10324 U.S. Highway 56, about four miles west of Osage City, Kan.

Osage County Places: Quenemo railroad bridge stands test of time

Strength and longevity are exemplified by this BNSF truss bridge. Beautifully tucked away just east of Quenemo, this one erected in 1905 (updated in 1945) still serves its purpose: getting trains across the Marias des Cygnes River.

Photo by Paul Schmidt.

Historical society and Osage County News publish online cemetery list

No Name No. 8 Cemetery, near Lamont Hill. Photo by Jan Williams.

In cooperation with the Osage County Historical Society, Osage County News has published online a list of Osage County cemeteries and their locations. The historical society had previously published similar information in a brochure. Volunteers of the society recently updated and corrected the list.

Osage County News has also created a map that shows the general locations of the cemeteries, which are listed with directions on the reverse side of the map. A printable version of the two-page map and cemetery list is available here.

When visiting the cemeteries listed, visitors are advised that some are on private property and property owners’ privacy should be respected. Not all cemeteries are located on all-weather roads, and some are in remote locations in Osage County; visitors should watch weather conditions and be aware of possible road hazards. Use of a highway map or GPS device to assist with navigation when trying to locate cemeteries is also advised.

Hidden History: ‘Marble man’ chiseled his legacy in Osage County cemeteries

Matthew Waddle special-ordered stone from Vermont in 1902 for John and Margaret Sowell’s monument, now located at Vassar Cemetery.

By Wendi Bevitt

Matthew Waddle’s name has been relegated to Osage County’s history, but as you venture to most cemeteries within the county this Memorial Day, you’ll see evidences of his work everywhere.

Matthew Waddle owned and operated a successful monument business in Lyndon, Kan., from the 1880s until his death in 1907. The Ohio native first lived in Ottawa, Kan., where he got his start as a salesman for Hanway Brothers Monuments in 1876.  Hanway Brothers, owned by John Hanway, executed fine monuments and employed highly skilled workmen with the most up to date tools. They were the oldest marble company in the state and highly regarded for their monuments and fair dealings.  John Hanway’s father, James, was a stone cutter and had been an associate of John Brown. The Hanway Brothers firm created the John Brown statue that now stands in Osawatomie.

Matthew Waddle made Hiram Ward's stone that is in the Burlingame Cemetery. Osage County history tidbit: Ward was a staunch opponent of the gambling and horse races at the Burlingame Fair. Apparently he got that nixed, but when he died in 1895, it didn't take long for them to get reinstated.

Matthew Waddle made Hiram Ward’s stone that is in the Burlingame Cemetery. Osage County history tidbit: Ward was a staunch opponent of the gambling and horse races at the Burlingame Fair. Apparently he got that nixed, but when he died in 1895, it didn’t take long for them to get reinstated.

Before 1883, Waddle had left Hanway and was working for Fernald Brothers, of Topeka, Kan. Fernald Brothers also created grand monuments and holds the distinction of creating the Kansas memorial tablet in 1882 for the interior of the Washington Monument in the nation’s capitol.

By 1885, Waddle settled in Lyndon and struck out on his own utilizing the knowledge gleaned with Hanway and Fernald. His business grew rapidly and he was creating monuments across Osage County of “the highest class of work”. Because of his excellent craftsmanship, he also sold monuments throughout the state and held the distinction of creating “the finest monument in Franklin County”, although that monument has not been identified at the time of this article. Business was going so well, that in June of 1895, he delivered 25 monuments to Burlingame Cemetery alone.

Waddle’s marble came not only from local suppliers, but he could special order quality stone from elsewhere. One such stone was that of John and Margaret Sowell’s monument located at Vassar. The marble was ordered after Mr. Sowell’s death in 1902 from Rutland, Vermont, at a cost of $200. Transit for the stone proved disastrous however, and flooding that year led to its disappearance en route.

Timeless literacy – Lyndon Carnegie Library

The Lyndon Carnegie Library is a beautiful little library that clearly shows the importance placed upon literacy at the time it was founded, 1910. Believed to be the smallest of Carnegie libraries in the country, it stands classically solid and enduring with its rock walls and red tile roof.

For more information about the library, call 785-828-4520, or stop by 127 E. Sixth St., Lyndon.

Photo thanks to Paul Schmidt, [email protected].

Carbondale citizens begin to ‘raise the roof’ for new city library

Steering committee members of the “Let’s Raise the Roof” capital campaign for a new city library in Carbondale have launched an initiative to raise a total of $250,000 in private funds to match funds for a community block grant. The group announced that as of April 11, $109,475 has been raised through donations, pledges, fundraising events, and other initiatives. Courtesy photo.

By Sue Anderson

CARBONDALE, Kan. – After years of hoping and planning, friends of the library in Carbondale are ready to launch a full scale campaign to literally “Raise the Roof” for a new, spacious library facility. An enthusiastic crowd of community citizens, including city government officials, library patrons and the campaign steering committee members and their families gathered April 11, 2017, to officially begin an extensive fund raising campaign to reach not only residents in the community, but also those that ever worked, lived or attended schools in Carbondale.

Kandy Hinck, chair of the “Let’s Raise the Roof” capital campaign, announced to those in attendance that a total of $109,474 has been raised toward the building project. The new 6,000 square foot library facility will be built on the northeast corner of the intersection at Third and Main streets, in downtown Carbondale.

The Carbondale City Council recently purchased land for the new library and the lot has been cleared, making it possible to begin building as soon as the remaining funds are raised.

“We are past the talking stage,” said Hinck. “Now we are taking action to make this a reality.”

A total of $250,000 in private contributions is needed in order to apply for a community development block grant from the Kansas Department of Commerce. Additional funds will come from other government grants, donations from private foundations, and low interest bonds.

In addition to asking for pledges, the steering committee will initiate a variety of fundraising activities and events in the coming months, and visit with individuals about how to become involved, both by making a financial pledge and also as a volunteer. Information packets with full details about the campaign are available at the current library.

Ridgeway Lodge’s generous donation to help build Overbrook’s lake trails

012417-obrook-pride-donatio

Jon Brady, center, Overbrook PRIDE board president, accepts $1,000 from members of Ridgeway Lodge, from left, Don Wolford and Jon Wilhite, and Dale Fox and John Shepard.

Four members of Overbrook Ridgeway Masonic Lodge No. 62 AF&AM were guests at the regular monthly meeting of Overbrook PRIDE on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017. They presented PRIDE with a check for $1,000 as a donation to an improvement project at Overbrook City Park.

The project includes pouring a new trailway (sidewalk) at the Youth Fishing Pond. Currently, there is a trailway around the entirety of the larger City Lake. The new walk will extend that trailway to and from a bridge that crosses the Youth Fishing Pond which is located just south of the larger lake.

Local donations, along with this check from the Ridgeway Lodge, provide enough funding to complete the first phase of the new trailway. A second phase will be done when additional funds are received. 

Contact us: Osage County News | P.O. Box 62, Lyndon, KS 66451 | [email protected] | 785-828-4994 | Powered by Osage County, Kansas